Please note this rice pilaf uses a traditional rice, not a "quick cook" type.
1 Tbsp grapeseed or Extra virgin olive oil
1 Tbsp butter
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp EACH thyme, savory, basil, and salt
1 cup rice (Instructions are NOT for instant rice!)
1/2 cup orzo
1 cup chicken broth
1 cup water
1. Warm the olive oil and butter in a saucepan, covered, with the heat on high.
2. Add the herbs, and toast lightly in the olive oil and butter.
3. Add the rice, orzo, and salt, and stir up a bit to coat the rice with the spices.
4. Pour in the chicken broth and water and bring all to a boil.
5. Turn the heat down, cover the saucepan, and cook until done (about 20 minutes for white rice, about 50 for brown rice).
Maryland crab cakes
1 pound lump crabmeat
1 1/2 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
2 tsp chopped fresh parsley
salt and pepper to taste
1 1/2 Tbsp mayonnaise
1/2 tsp ground dry mustard
1 tsp Old bay seasoning
Mix together crabmeat, bread crumbs, parsley, salt and pepper. Beat together egg, mayonnaise, Old bay seasoning and mustard. Combine with other ingredients and mix well. Form into patties Refrigerate for at least 1 hour Pan fry in 2 Tbsp grapeseed oil OR place on a lightly greased broiler pan or baking sheet. Broil for 10 to 15 minutes, until lightly brown.
The veggies were one of the Green Giant steamers - it rounded out my meal quite nicely!