Thursday, October 18, 2012

Pillsbury pumpkin perfection...

There's something about October that I love.  I'm not sure if it's the weather, the leaves turning a brilliant shade of red, amber, and a golden brown, or if it just means that the upcoming holidays are quickly approaching which translates into baking for me. Haha!


I love pastries, but I don't like how time consuming it can be.  Fortunately the pumpkin-pecan braid by Pillsbury is fast to make!


Thoughts:
  • Use the seamless crescent dough - this is much easier and makes for a prettier presentation.
  • You will have leftover pumpkin - so plan another use for it.  I would suggest the Pumpkin Oat Scones
  • The filling could be improved by a pinch of salt, and increasing the spice mixture
  • I've tried this warm and at room temperature.  I prefer this out of the oven and still warm.
  • The glaze leaves something to be desired.  I would suggest enhancing with vanilla extract and for my personal taste I used a drop of cinnamon oil.
  • Don't use raw pecans.  Toast them slightly for improved texture. 
Another fabulous find for me:  Pumpkin Oat Scones. 

I love the simple goodness of this scone.  Most are use to an overly sweet scone, but please be aware this scone relies solely on spices and pumpkin.  It is NOT for the person w/ a sweet tooth.  I would suggest if you must have the sweetness to use a brown sugar and use no more than 1/3 cup. 

I drizzled a doctored glaze of cinnamon butter over the top...absolute delight when paired with a cup of coffee.

Thoughts:
  • Enhance the taste by using no more than 1/3 cup brown sugar
  • Use a cooling rack over the rimmed baking sheet to drizzle the glaze
  • If you do not have a scone pan, place dough on a parchment lined rimmed baking sheet and shape into a round, and cut into wedges prior to baking. Alternatively, shape into a rectangle and cut both vertical, horizontal, and then diagonally to where it resembles the following shape.  Once baked cut immediately to separate the scones.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer

I am a voluntary Allrecipes Allstar Brand Ambassador and I do not receive compensation for my work with Allrecipes.com. Any product received is only used for experience-based reviews on The Daily Gourmet. The reviews, content and opinions expressed in this blog are the sole opinions of Sarah.

Fellow foodies

Recipes - under construction