Thursday, November 1, 2012

Spook-tacular treats!

Pumpkins, goblins, candy, costumes, and Karo syrup!  The bewitching hour of Halloween is always a fun time for kids and adults alike.


This year I hosted a small Halloween "drop in" style party.  I chose to keep things simple and one of my treats that I had available was Caramel Popcorn.

Prior to continuing my blog post let me preface my blog and say I *HATE* popcorn - I can't stand the stuff!!!  I procrastinated making the Caramel popcorn and finally the moment came where I couldn't put it off any longer.  I made the popcorn, and started out on the caramel glaze.  I coated the popcorn and allowed it to cook in the oven.  I confess it smelled good, and once cooled I grabbed a piece of popcorn.  Then I grabbed another handful, and another.  I couldn't stop eating this stuff and this is from a person who had not eaten popcorn in YEARS!!!  I finally had to force myself away from this tasty treat!!! 

This caramel popcorn is amazing by itself but below are some add in ideas:

M&M's, Reece Pieces Candies, Candy Corn, Pretzels, Gummy Worms, Toasted Pecans, Toasted Almonds, Dried cranberries, Dried apricots, Toasted coconut
Semi-sweet chocolate chips, Goldfish crackers etc.,

Add ins are a great idea for those who like a sweet-n-salty effect, and it allows for a different texture.

I chose to use some Halloween cups for serving individual portions.  The bonus is that the cups are re-usable so it's a small treat for the attendee.   Thank you Karo for an incredibly simple treat to share!  I received MANY rave reviews and recipe requests.

Ideas for other food to serve:

A "mummy" meatloaf (this is your basic "dead man" meatloaf but switched up w/ some yummy strips of bacon)

Black Halloween punch - take a non latex disposable glove and fill it with water*, seal with a rubber band and freeze until hard. *You can make this super cool by taking some grenadine cherry syrup and pouring some in and this will give it a bloody look!

Cupcakes - these are great b/c the portion size is controlled and there are MANY ways of making these festive!  Make a "mummy" cupcake by doing lines of white frosting on a chocolate cupcake.  Make a spider web and top w/ a black plastic spider ring.  Take white frosting and pipe on top in a tall swirl design and use two mini chocolate chip for a ghostly effect on a vanilla cupcake!

and ABSOLUTELY make the caramel popcorn - it's *THAT* good!



I am a voluntary Allrecipes Allstar Brand Ambassador and I do not receive compensation for my work with Allrecipes.com. Any product received is only used for experience-based reviews on The Daily Gourmet. The reviews, content and opinions expressed in this blog are the sole opinions of Sarah.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer

I am a voluntary Allrecipes Allstar Brand Ambassador and I do not receive compensation for my work with Allrecipes.com. Any product received is only used for experience-based reviews on The Daily Gourmet. The reviews, content and opinions expressed in this blog are the sole opinions of Sarah.

Fellow foodies

Recipes - under construction