Sunday, August 25, 2013

Sunday lunch

Today as I looked in the pantry I spotted a box of orzo pasta.  As frugal as I am when it comes to grocery shopping, sometimes I'll pick up an ingredient for a one time dish.  This was the case with the orzo pasta.  I did a bit more rummaging around in the fridge, and spotted a red bell pepper that I needed to use.  Then I saw a container of pesto...you know that green mixture of basil, pignolia (aka pine nuts), Parmesan cheese, and olive oil  

I wasn't sure what else would go into my lunch, until I spotted a recipe for Shrimp Orzo Pesto on Allrecipes.com
Perfect!  I had the orzo, shrimp, bell pepper, pesto, and all the seasonings.  I left out all but 1 teaspoon of the olive oil, as the pesto has more than enough olive oil for this dish.  So go ahead and skip the rest of it (trust me your mouth & stomach won't know the difference). 
The directions say that the pesto needs to be divided, yet the second use isn't mentioned.  Let me help solve that problem.  Take the remaining pesto and sauté the shrimp in it.  Bada bing, bada boom...sizzling pesto shrimp!  Careful on the red pepper flakes.  If you want a mild amount of heat I suggest using 1/8 tsp PER serving




post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer

I am a voluntary Allrecipes Allstar Brand Ambassador and I do not receive compensation for my work with Allrecipes.com. Any product received is only used for experience-based reviews on The Daily Gourmet. The reviews, content and opinions expressed in this blog are the sole opinions of Sarah.

Fellow foodies

Recipes - under construction