Thursday, July 21, 2011

Dessert by mistake

Odd title huh?  Only I could make dessert by mistake.  It's true tho!  A couple days ago I made up a sugar pastry to use in a macadamia nut tart (that will have to wait) at the same time I was in the process of making cowgirl cookies, but had not put the white chocolate chips or pecans in the cookie dough. 

So how did I end up making a dessert by mistake?  Well I ended up pressing my cookie dough into a tart pan and baked it, and before I realised my mistake, I had a giant tart cookie baking.  I really couldn't do much w/ it at that point, except to take it out.  Then I had a moment of inspiration hit.  I had some leftover apple pie filling sitting in my refrigerator, so at this point I took a flat metaled measuring cup and made a bit of an indentation in the cookie dough.  I took the pie filling and spread it out over the crust, and returned it to the oven to finish baking. 

It turned out rather good! 

So how to make it...

1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp EACH baking powder, baking soda, and salt
3/4 cups rolled oats
1 can apple pie filling
1/2 tsp cinnamon

In a medium bowl, cream together the butter, brown sugar and white sugar until smooth. Stir in the egg and vanilla. Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt, stir into the creamed mixture. Finally, stir in the rolled oats.  Press onto the bottom & up the sides of a lightly greased tart pan.

Bake at 325° for about 15 minutes.  Remove and form an indentation into the inner cookie area (about 1" away from the edge.  Spread the apple cinnamon mixture onto the cookie, and return to oven and bake about 15-20 minutes.  Serve w/ ice cream if desired

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer

I am a voluntary Allrecipes Allstar Brand Ambassador and I do not receive compensation for my work with Allrecipes.com. Any product received is only used for experience-based reviews on The Daily Gourmet. The reviews, content and opinions expressed in this blog are the sole opinions of Sarah.

Fellow foodies

Recipes - under construction