Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Tex Mex cuisine

Tonight I made Tex-Mex Beef and Cheese Enchiladas and Better Spanish Rice along w/ my own Five layer dip.



Enchiladas:  I'm normally hesitant about cooking enchiladas.  I couldn't say why other than they don't taste authentic to me - but that's a Gringo messing around in the kitchen for you haha, or maybe I've been eating at Taco Bell too much!  I was pleasantly surprised w/ how easy it was to fry the corn tortillas, I use to think it would be difficult but found that it was really quite simple.  The meat sauce was easy to fix, but seemed like it was missing that hearty, robust flavour that most Tex-Mex cuisine has.  I'm not sure what else can be added to pump up the flavour, but will add this to play around w/ another time.

Better Spanish Rice:  Okay so this really wasn't my idea of Spanish rice.  I'm not sure what prompted me to make it other than it fit the "theme".  I think it needed something else to give it some kick too, perhaps chili powder.  I'm not too crazy about this recipe.

Five layer dip.

1 can refried beans
3/4 cup salsa
8 oz prepared guacamole
6 oz sour cream
1/2 cup shredded mexican blend cheese

Tortilla Chips

Heat the refried beans in a microwave safe dish, stirring at 2 minute intervals until smooth & spreadable.
Spread beans in a clear glass dish (pie plate or small glass casserole dish will work).  Layer the salsa, guacamole, sour cream, and cheese.  Refrigerate until ready to serve. 

Serve w/ tortilla chips

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer

I am a voluntary Allrecipes Allstar Brand Ambassador and I do not receive compensation for my work with Allrecipes.com. Any product received is only used for experience-based reviews on The Daily Gourmet. The reviews, content and opinions expressed in this blog are the sole opinions of Sarah.

Fellow foodies

Recipes - under construction