Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Shortcuts worth sharing

Today for lunch I decided to make Fresh Pear and Cherry Salad with Vanilla Pear Vinaigrette
It made me think of the type of salad a place like Panera Bread would offer...and if they did you know it would be at least $7.50 if they did! 


First shortcut.  You don't have to buy both salad greens & bagged spinach.  Most stores have bags of salad that incorporate both salad greens & spinach, so use that instead. 
Second shortcut.  Don't worry about making your own candied walnuts - feel free to cheat and buy the glazed walnuts, it cuts down on prep and the taste is gonna be the same :)
Third shortcut:  To de seed the pear, cut it in half and use either a small melon baller or ice cream scoop, then slice into small portions.

Thoughts on the dressing.  The dressing is good if modified.  I cut back the white wine vinegar to 2 Tbsp and the salt to 1/4 tsp - I wasn't too horribly impressed by the honey flavour.  I think if I remake it, that I'll use Leeds golden syrup -it has more of a buttery flavour which I think will compliment the delicate notes of the pear and vanilla.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer

I am a voluntary Allrecipes Allstar Brand Ambassador and I do not receive compensation for my work with Allrecipes.com. Any product received is only used for experience-based reviews on The Daily Gourmet. The reviews, content and opinions expressed in this blog are the sole opinions of Sarah.

Fellow foodies

Recipes - under construction