Sunday, April 29, 2012

Buttery goodness

Are there ever times when you smell something and a memory comes back to mind?  Sometimes when I smell cinnamon I start reminiscing on the comforts of home.  In thinking about cinnamon most people will readily think cinnamon rolls as they have gained popularity from a well known bakery chain.  Have you ever thought about cinnamon scones tho?



The other day I decided to use my newly purchased scone pan and I made cinnamon scones.   Granted I didn't follow the recipe in its entirety and while I'm giving credit to the recipe, I'll share my tweaked version below.

2 cup all purpose flour
4 TBSP sugar, divided
2 TBSP brown sugar
3/4 tsp cinnamon, divided
1 TBSP baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
6 TBSP cold unsalted butter (cut into 6 pieces)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp heavy whipping cream


Preheat oven to 375°F.
In a large bowl, mix together the flour, 2 TBSP sugar, brown sugar, 1/4 tsp cinnamon, baking powder and salt. Add the butter and work into the flour mixture, using a pastry blender, until the butter and flour form pea size balls.
Add vanilla, egg and 1/2 cup of the heavy cream. Mix together. If the dough is too dry, continue mixing and adding more cream 1 Tbsp at a time in small increments until a pliable dough has formed.
If you have a scone pan, evenly divide the dough amongst the pan and press into place.  Otherwise dump dough onto a floured surface and form into about an inch tall rectangle. Cut into triangles. Brush the tops with more heavy cream. In a small bowl, mix together the remaining 1/2 tsp cinnamon and 2 Tbsp sugar. Sprinkle mixture on top of scones.
Place on a non-stick baking sheet and bake for 12 minutes. Top with your favorite icing* 

*I used a Four roses bourbon, mixed with butter, vanilla, and powdered sugar for a buttery bourbon vanilla glaze - it was incredible!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer

I am a voluntary Allrecipes Allstar Brand Ambassador and I do not receive compensation for my work with Allrecipes.com. Any product received is only used for experience-based reviews on The Daily Gourmet. The reviews, content and opinions expressed in this blog are the sole opinions of Sarah.

Fellow foodies

Recipes - under construction