Saturday, June 16, 2012

How the cookie crumbles...

I'm not a person who typically eats many sweets.  My sweet tooth was pretty much cured 5 years ago when I took a series of cake decorating classes.  Regardless, from time to time when the urge to bake strikes, I will bake, and indulge.

I'm notorious for finding unusually named recipes and Hobo Cookies are no exception.  They have no flour so I imagine they are considered gluten-free.



The first thing I noticed was that it made 20 DOZEN cookies (240!!!) ...umm I don't need THAT going from my lips to my hips, so I reduced the recipe substantially!   The next thing I noticed was the unusual (translate that to WRONG) quantity of ingredients listed.

I knew that I would have to re-formulate the recipe for it to work.  

Changes are as follows (this is for the FULL batch!).

6 eggs *
4 cups white sugar
4 cups packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon light corn syrup**
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
8 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups butter
3 cups peanut butter
12 cups rolled oats
3 cups semisweet chocolate chips
2 cups m&m's  ***

Beat together the eggs, sugars, butter, vanilla, and peanut butter. Add the baking soda, and beat well. Stir in the oats, chocolate chips and M&M candies.

Place dough by tablespoonfuls on parchment lined cookie sheets. Bake at 350° F (175°C) for 10 minutes. DO NOT OVERBAKE!!!!!!

*The egg quantity may be increased to a total of 8 eggs if it looks TOO crumbly. 
**  I left out the corn syrup, I don't think it would enhance the recipe at all
*** I suggest using the mini m&m's baking pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer

I am a voluntary Allrecipes Allstar Brand Ambassador and I do not receive compensation for my work with Allrecipes.com. Any product received is only used for experience-based reviews on The Daily Gourmet. The reviews, content and opinions expressed in this blog are the sole opinions of Sarah.

Fellow foodies

Recipes - under construction