Thursday, February 4, 2016

DIY - Round two


Have you ever looked at the ingredients that go into food? Well aside from being able to source food locally, often the only thing you can do is try to make it yourself.

I took myself on a culinary adventure and decided to give cheese making a try. Don't ask why, I'm just as random as can be. I had a gallon of whole milk, and simply poured it into a heavy duty dutch oven. From there I allowed it to warm slowly and then come to a simmer. Once this happened I added in some vinegar to allow the curd to separate from the whey.  Voila! Cheese! This wasn't quite like the cheese you would find in a grocery store. This was homemade goodness. Afterwards it was a simple matter of draining the curds off they whey via cheesecloth. I was impressed! The texture made me think almost of a dry ricotta cheese. I plan on using this in a lasagne, because fresh cheese looses some of the good bacteria during the cooking process, it's imperative to use it fast! You can find this same recipe on Allrecipes.com 





post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer

I am a voluntary Allrecipes Allstar Brand Ambassador and I do not receive compensation for my work with Allrecipes.com. Any product received is only used for experience-based reviews on The Daily Gourmet. The reviews, content and opinions expressed in this blog are the sole opinions of Sarah.

Fellow foodies

Recipes - under construction