Friday, May 31, 2013

An apple a day

Recently I had an anonymous comment from someone who emailed the following question:  "How do you slowly make your cooking habits to the more healthy way of cooking.. without sacrificing the recipes you love"


I appreciate that question and it's great to see that this individual is concerned about eating healthier.
I've always made sure to follow the food pyramid guidelines.  I've learned to also use herbs and spices for flavour.  I'm a natural fan of lean proteins, dairy, fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and I use butter/oil sparingly.  So if you make this switch from an unhealthy habit of eat out food I'm sure you'll not only see the difference, but you'll feel it too!

Baked chicken with Apple stuffing is not only comfort food, but boasts ingredients that won't break the bank - plus it's good for you!



Please note that I made the following changes. Drop the milk to 1/2 cup (max)!  You don't need to use 2 cups of milk! Drop the egg quantity from 3 eggs to 1 egg.  Incorporate Panko bread crumbs for a delicious crunch.  At the last 5 minutes crank the oven to broil to allow it to get golden!

To round out this delicious meal I suggest roasted root vegetables

The vegetables are both hearty, complex, but are so good you won't notice that you're eating healthy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer

I am a voluntary Allrecipes Allstar Brand Ambassador and I do not receive compensation for my work with Allrecipes.com. Any product received is only used for experience-based reviews on The Daily Gourmet. The reviews, content and opinions expressed in this blog are the sole opinions of Sarah.

Fellow foodies

Recipes - under construction